Apply for the Penn State Chicago Scholarship
You are invited to apply for a scholarship funded by the Greater Chicago Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association. The goal of this scholarship program is to provide financial support to Penn State students from the greater Chicago area who have demonstrated academic excellence, including the World Campus.
The following criteria apply:
- Your permanent address must be in the Greater Chicago area.
- You must be a full time undergraduate student with at least sophomore standing, (i.e. Sophomore, Junior, or Senior).
- Your GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- You must submit your application on or before Tuesday, September 4, 2018, via e-mail. Awards will be made in the Fall 2018 semester for application to the Spring 2019 semester.
The Scholarship Committee will evaluate applications based upon criteria that include consideration of academic achievement, community service, extracurricular activities, and financial need. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right to assess each application individually, considering any or all these criteria. If granted the scholarship, the Scholarship Committee reserves the right to use your name and a summary of the submitted information in publicity materials of the Chapter.
Successful applicants in years past went beyond simple listings of accolades and activities to show why their interests and experiences combined to make them the candidate who should receive one of our scholarships.
- INTEGRITY: We act with integrity and honesty in accordance with the highest academic, professional, and ethical standards.
- RESPECT: We respect and honor the dignity of each person, embrace civil discourse, and foster a diverse and inclusive community.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We act responsibly, and we are accountable for our decisions, actions, and their consequences.
- DISCOVERY: We seek and create new knowledge and understanding, and foster creativity and innovation, for the benefit of our communities, society, and the environment.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive for excellence in all our endeavors as individuals, an institution, and a leader in higher education.
- COMMUNITY: We work together for the betterment of our University, the communities we serve, and the world.
Please submit a copy of your University transcript (which may be unofficial) and a 1500-word personal statement essay via e-mail to the Greater Chicago Chapter Scholarship Chair, Miranda Padilla. Please be sure to integrate one or more of the following Penn State values into your personal statement and responses. Some of the following questions may help you get started:
- What is one of the most significant things you have learned about yourself while being at Penn State, and how is that preparing you for your life/career after graduation?
- How is Penn State making a positive impact on you and those around you, and how are you giving back to your community?
- In what other extracurricular activities have you participated?
- Describe your financial need, if any.
- What actions have you taken or are you intending to take to show you are “Penn State Proud” to others, whether inside the Penn State community or otherwise?
Questions Please contact the Greater Chicago Chapter Scholarship Chair, Miranda Padilla.